Monday, February 23, 2015

The Household of God


Christ Brings Division
Matt 10:34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’[e] 37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.
The word translated household is this text occurs one other time in Matt 10:25
It is the Greek word oikiakos which means one belonging to the house.
I have read this verse several times and I have always assumed that it meant the household of your family because it refers to your mother, father, sister and brother….However, about a week ago I was worshipping and praying and God spoke this word to me in the context of our church family. So I opened up my concordance and found that this particular word “household” is only used one other time in the bible…
 Matt 10:24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household! 26 Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.
As you can see the household described is not limited to our biological family, it is referring to the house of God or the household of Beelzebub. This made me excited because God led me to it but it made me very sad…for obvious reasons.
I have been thinking about it a  great deal and then yesterday, listening to a sermon, this scripture was used:
Matthew 12:50(NKJV) For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”
As you would expect, I listened at attention! For me this was another confirmation!!!! So here I am documenting what I have been hearing! Jesus does not exclude his natural family in these versus. In fact doing more of a search I remembered these versus:
Matt 19:25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!” 27 Then He said to the disciple, “Behold your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.
Matt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
Mark 3:31 Then His brothers and His mother came, and standing outside they sent to Him, calling Him. 32 And a multitude was sitting around Him; and they said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are outside seeking You.”
33 But He answered them, saying, “Who is My mother, or My brothers?” 34 And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! 35 For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother.”
Unfortunately, I believe that those that call themselves Christians but really are not, will be those that persecute other Christians. They will be the very people that deliver you up, just like Judas. The true Christian will stand on the truth of God when the others will compromise to keep the peace. This next verse gives us direction on how to conduct ourselves when we are delivered up…

Persecutions Are Coming
Matt 10:16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. 17 But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. 18 You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; 20 for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
21 “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. 23 When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
24 “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household! 26 Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.
Jesus Teaches the Fear of God
27 “Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
Confess Christ Before Men
32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.



1. Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves

2. Beware of men

3. Do not worry

4. Speak whatever God tells you

5. Endure

6. Flee to another city

7. Do not FEAR (x3)

8. Confess Him before men

No comments:

Post a Comment